Makes 5 servings
1 cup whole wheat flour
1½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup ground flaxseed
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1½ cups 1% milk
½ cup cooked oats
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. honey, for batter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pineapple and banana, per serving
2 Tbsp. pistachios, per serving
Jazz up traditional waffles with some fruity multigrain flare using this fun recipe from healthy eating organization Produce for Kids.
1. Whisk together whole wheat flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large mixing bowl.
2. Stir in milk, oats, eggs, honey, oil, and vanilla into the oat mixture; mix until moistened.
3. Preheat waffle iron, and lightly coat with oil or cooking spray.
4. Put enough batter to cover ¾ of the waffle iron surface (about ⅔ cup for an 8×8-inch waffle iron.)
5. Close waffle iron. Cook 5 – 7 minutes or until waffles are golden and crisp.
6. Repeat with remaining batter. Top with chopped fruit and pistachios.
Carbohydrates: 61 g
Fat: 19 g
Protein: 22 g
Fiber: 8 g
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes