Makes 4 servings
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon honey
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1∕8 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 bunch broccoli, divided into florets
1 lemon, cut into 12 wedges
Try to buy cold-water shrimp, such as pink shrimp from Oregon, whenever possible; it’s the most environmentally friendly choice. Otherwise, shrimp from warmer areas in Canada and the United States, either farmed or wild, are an acceptable alternative. A touch of chipotle chile powder gives depth to this dish without adding too much spice.
1. In a medium bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, honey, garlic, 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil, chile powder, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Marinate shrimp for at least 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Have a bowl of ice water ready. Boil broccoli until not-quite-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to ice water. When broccoli is cool, drain and pat dry.
4. In a medium bowl, toss blanched broccoli and lemon wedges with 1 tablespoon oil and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt.
5. Thread shrimp, broccoli, and lemon wedges onto skewers.
6. Light a grill to medium-high heat. Grill skewers, turning occasionally, until shrimp are charred and cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
7. Squeeze grilled lemon wedges over shrimp and broccoli before serving.
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Fat: 7 g
Protein: 22 g
Fiber: 1 g