Makes 6 servings
1 1/4 cups French lentils, picked over and rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
1/3 cup water
6 whole-wheat or gluten-free hamburger buns
1. In a medium stock pot, add the lentils with enough water to cover by 2 to 3 inches. Cover, bring to a boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender. Drain the lentils.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes longer.
3. Add the cumin, paprika, brown sugar, and jalapeño, if using. Cook 1 minute, then add the marinara sauce and water. Season to taste with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Add the lentils to the sloppy joe mixture. Season to taste and cook for 5 minutes longer, until the flavors have blended.
5. Scoop the sloppy joe mixture into the hamburger buns and serve.
Carbohydrates: 58 g
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 11 g
Fiber: 9 g
Active Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes