1/2 avocado, sliced
1 cucumber, cut into strips
1 carrot, grated
Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
1 nori sheet
For kids, sushi is irresistible: It’s so much fun to pick up the circles and pop them into their mouths! And for little ones who aren’t quite ready for the raw fish that’s an ingredient in many sushi rolls, this version packed with vegetables is a perfect introduction. It features nutritious avocado, cucumber, carrots, sprouts, and spinachmdash;all wrapped in a seafood sheet that is itself packed with benefits. Nori is high in protein and minerals, has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, and contains more vitamin C per serving than two oranges!
Plus sushi is great for little hands to make! Kids will enjoy placing the ingredients on the nori sheet and rolling them up, and then a parent can slice them into bite-size pieces. In this recipe, the pieces are arranged in a caterpillar shape—but you can try other shapes if you like. They’re a perfect after-school snack and a fun activity on a playdate!
1. CHILD: Lay the avocado in a strip along one end of a nori sheet. Neatly line up other filling ingredients on top of or alongside the avocado.
2. CHILD: Starting with the veggie end, tightly roll the nori sheet into a tube.
3. PARENT: Slice into bite-sized pieces.
4. CHILD: Place the pieces on a plate in a caterpillar shape.
5. CHILD: Pour some Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce into a small dish for dipping, and enjoy!
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes