Makes 12 servings
3 Tablespoons honey
3 Tablespoons butter
1²/³ cups all-purpose four plus extra for dusting
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
5 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon confectioners sugar, sifted, for dusting
4 Tablespoons low-sugar raspberry, apricot, or black currant jam
When filled with colorful jam, these sandwich cookies are almost too pretty to eat! Plus, you can freeze any extra dough for these cookies for up to three months.
1. Cook the honey, milk, and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter melts.
2. Mix together the four, baking powder, cream of tartar, and granulated sugar in a bowl. Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix everything together to form a soft dough.
3. Roll the dough out on a piece of parchment paper until it’s about ½ inch thick, then slide the paper onto a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until ¹⁄8-inch thick and use a 2¼-inch-round cookie cutter to cut out 48 cookies. Put 24 of them on one cookie sheet. Use a 1-inch-round cookie cutter to cut out the middles of the remaining 24 cookies, then put these on the second cookie sheet.
6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until lightly brown. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
7. Dust the 24 cookies with their middles cut out with confectioners sugar. Put ½ teaspoon of the jam in the middle of each of the 24 whole cookies, then position the dusted cookies on top of them.
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Fat: 4 g
Protein: 2 g
Fiber: 0 g
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour