Makes 4 servings
4 cups whole-milk yogurt
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 whole wheat pitas, sliced into wedges
1 teaspoon fnely chopped fresh oregano
1. In a medium-size bowl, combine yogurt and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt.
2. Line a colander or large sieve with cheesecloth or a thin dishtowel; set over a deep bowl. Put yogurt in the colander and fold the cheesecloth edges over the yogurt to cover. Leave at room temperature 12 to 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine 1 Tablespoon olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl.
4. Add pita and toss well to coat. Spread in one layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, tossing once, until pita is brown and crisp.
5. Meanwhile, gently press on the strained yogurt with a wooden spoon to squeeze out remaining liquid. Set aside or discard the liquid. Spoon strained yogurt onto a plate.
6. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon olive oil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with toasted pita chips.
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Fat: 8 g
Protein: 3 g
Fiber: 3 g
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 24 hours