Makes 4 servings
5 cups vegetable broth
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 large leeks, cut lengthwise and sliced finely into half moons (rinse well and drain before using)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup arborio rice
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup soft goat cheese (2 ounces)
Optional: garnish with parmesan and fresh herbs
Risotto is a deliciously decadent dinner option for those willing to spend the time making it. Arborio rice is a popular choice for making risotto from scratch due to its higher starch content. As you stir, the friction releases the starch into the broth, thickening it and making the dish creamy without the addition of dairy.
Mom Pro-Tip: For those looking for a short cut, pre-cooked medium grain rice such as jasmine or basmati can be used in place of the arborio rice. Cut the vegetable broth down to one cup. This not only makes the cooking process easier, but cuts the cooking time down to 15 minutes. The risotto will not be as creamy but the flavors will still be just as good.
1. In a medium pot, bring vegetable broth to a low simmer.
2. While broth is heating, add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook for five to eight minutes, or until leeks are lightly browned.
3. Add garlic, salt, thyme, rosemary, and black pepper and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
4. Add rice and cook for one to two minutes, stirring to coat with olive oil. Add white wine and cook for another three minutes or until wine has mostly evaporated.
5. Add about a ladle and a half of broth at a time (about ½ cup), stirring after each addition. The pan should be hot enough to bring the broth to a medium simmer but not a boil.
6. Continue to add broth after the previous ladle has mostly evaporated, making sure to stir regularly. Add broth this way until the rice is al dente and most of the broth has evaporated (this should take about 30 minutes).
7. Remove from heat and stir in goat cheese, making sure to let it melt completely before serving. Serve in bowls and garnish if desired.
8. Serve immediately, and enjoy.
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Fat: 10 g
Protein: 7 g
Fiber: 2 g
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes