Makes 4 servings
1 32-ounce container vegetable broth
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup Arborio rice
½ cup white wine
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped, for garnish
This dairy-free risotto gets its creaminess from the Arborio rice due to its high starch content. As you stir, the friction releases the starch into the broth, thickening it and making the dish creamy without the addition of milk, butter, or cheese. The addition of shrimp and asparagus make this a complete meal with a lean protein and a nutrient-filled vegetable.
1. In a medium pot, add vegetable broth and bring to a light simmer.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and onion. Cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and salt and stir, cooking for about 1 minute until fragrant.
3. Add rice and stir to combine. Let rice cook until the edges are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add white wine and stir continuously until the wine has evaporated. Add dried thyme and stir.
4. Add in three ladles of simmering vegetable stock and stir until mostly evaporated. Add about a ladle and a half of broth at a time (½ cup), stirring after each addition. The pan should be hot enough to bring the broth to a medium simmer but not a boil.
5. Continue to add broth after the previous ladle has mostly evaporated, making sure to stir regularly. Add broth this way until the rice is al dente and most of the broth has evaporated (this should take about 20–30 minutes).
6. After adding the last of the broth, add asparagus and stir, letting cook for about 2 minutes. Add shrimp and lemon juice and stir to combine. Let shrimp cook through, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes before removing from heat.
7. Let cool for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, before serving. Top with chopped parsley.