Makes 5 servings
8 oz. whole wheat blend elbow pasta
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup 1% milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon honey
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
The nutritional merits of mac & cheese—which is typically made with white pasta, milk, butter, and a packet of powdered cheese—are ho-hum at best. For our made-from-scratch makeover, use a whole wheat blend pasta for extra fiber, tiny bits of carrot for immune-boosting vitamin A, and real cheese for calcium. The honey and carrots add natural sweetness to the dish.
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pasta and carrots and cook until pasta is done and carrots are soft. Drain and set aside.
2. In the same saucepan, heat canola oil and butter over medium heat until butter melts.
3. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking until smooth.
4. Whisk milk and broth slowly into flour mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and stir gently until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses and honey. Stir in pasta and season with salt and pepper.