Makes 4 servings
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 medium onion
10 ounces rainbow chard, washed and dried
1 green apple
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
½ Tablespoon dijon mustard
¼ cup walnuts
This early fall-inspired recipe is nutrient-dense and perfect as a side dish for any fall fȇte. Wild rice adds a distinct nuttiness while the apples sweeten the dish and pair perfectly with a bright dressing. Rainbow chard adds a pop of color while offering fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins K, A, and C.
1. Cook your wild rice ahead of time and keep warm until ready to use. Wild rice takes about 45 minutes to an hour to cook so you will need to wait until about 30 minutes into the cook time before you start making the rest of the dish.
2. Slice onion into long, thin strips and set aside. Separate the leaves from the stems of the chard. Slice chard stems into ½ inch long pieces and set aside. Roughly chop chard leaves and set aside. Slice the apple into ½ inch pieces, removing the core and stem, and set aside.
3. In a medium sauté pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and let it preheat. Add sliced onions and stir to coat. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and stir again. Drop the head to medium low and cover. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions have softened and are just starting to brown.
4. Add chard stems and stir to coat before covering and letting cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add apple pieces and stir to coat. Cover again and let cook for another 2 minutes, or until the apples begin to soften. Add roughly chopped chard greens and stir in. Cover and let cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. While the vegetables are cooking, in a small bowl whisk together remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt.
6. In a large bowl, add two cups of wild rice, cooked vegetables and apple, and dressing. Stir to combine.
7. In the pan from the veggies, add walnuts over medium heat and toast until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and roughly chop. Top veggies and rice with the toasted walnuts and serve.