Makes 8 servings
1½ pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut in chunks
2 Tablespoons non-GMO canola oil
2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
¹/³ cup plain yogurt
Salt and pepper
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the rutabagas and cook for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook with the rutabagas until both are fork tender, about 15 to 20 more minutes.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the onions. In a large frying pan, heat the canola oil on medium-low.
3. Add the onions and cook until dark golden brown, about 40 to 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, about every 10 minutes.
4. When the rutabaga and potatoes are tender, drain. Place in a large bowl and add the garlic and yogurt. Mash until all large lumps are gone. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Mix in the onions or serve on top or on the side.
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Fat: 3 g
Protein: 3 g
Fiber: 3 g
1 hour, 10 minutes