Makes 12 servings
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup maple syrup
1⁄4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3⁄4 cup raspberries
1⁄2 cup blueberries
These delicious oatcakes are just sweet enough to make kids happy. For extra protein, split the cakes and spread them with almond or peanut butter. Store the oatcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three days or in the freezer for up to three months.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup standard-size muffin tin with paper liners, or grease with butter or cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the oats, four, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together the maple syrup, butter, eggs, and vanilla.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Add the berries and stir gently to combine. (It’s okay if the berries get a little crushed.)
5. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then remove to a rack. Let cool completely.
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Fat: 6 g
Protein: 4 g
Fiber: 1 g