6 Tablespoons butter, softened (¾ stick of butter)
½ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons light sour cream
⅓ cup fresh orange juice
1 Tablespoon fresh orange zest
⅛ teaspoon orange extract
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup powdered sugar
While creamsicle might seem like a summer flavor, taking the same elements and making them into a cookie is extra festive and adds a bright, tart note to your baking array. Not only are these light and fluffy, they also pack a zesty punch that’s perfect as an after-dinner palate cleanser.
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and well combined. Turn mixer to medium-low speed and add in sour cream and egg, beating until well combined. Beat in the orange juice, zest, and extract for about 30 more seconds.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until combined.
4. Drop a Tablespoon full of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, about two inches apart. Bake for 10–13 minutes until golden brown on the edges.
5. Remove and allow to cool on the baking sheet for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Dust lightly with powdered sugar before letting them cool completely on the rack.
Makes 24–30 cookies
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Fat: 3 g
Protein: 1 g
Fiber: 0 g