Makes 4 servings
1 lb (454 g) ground chicken thigh
1⁄4 cup (20 g) grated Parmesan cheese
1⁄2 cup (56 g) shredded cheddar cheese
1⁄2 cup (56 g) blanched, finely ground almond flour
1 oz (28 g) finely ground pork rinds
Classic Ketchup (page 166) or BBQ Sauce (page 169), for dipping
Recipe has been adapted with permission from Keto Kids by Sam Dillard.
Sometimes it seems like chicken nuggets are their own food group to kids. Whether they’re fried or baked, the flour coating still usually contains too many carbs to easily fit into a Ketogenic diet. These baked chicken nuggets are made from ground chicken thigh, which is juicy and flavorful. If you can’t find ground chicken at the store, you can place boneless, skinless chicken thighs in your food processor and pulse a few times until it’s the right consistency. You can also ask your local butcher to grind some up for you fresh! The nuggets are coated in almond flour and pork rinds for a super crunch rivaling that of regular nuggets. This recipe takes a little effort but is absolutely worth it for the little ones!
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment.
2. In a large bowl, mix the chicken, Parmesan and cheddar cheeses.
3. Take 2 tablespoons (22 g) of the mixture and form it into a chicken nugget shape, round and thick, about 1⁄2 inch (1.3 cm) high.
4. Place the nuggets on one of the baking sheets and freeze for 20 minutes.
5. In a medium bowl, place the almond flour. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg. In another medium bowl, place the pork rinds.
6. Remove the nuggets from the freezer and dip a nugget into the egg. Shake to remove the excess, then press it into the almond flour. Dip it back into the egg, and then press it into the crushed pork rinds to evenly coat.
7. Place the nuggets on the second baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until the outside begins turning golden and the internal temperature is at least 165°F (75°C).
8. Serve warm with your choice of dipping sauce.
Carbohydrates: 5 g
Fat: 40 g
Protein: 29 g
Fiber: 2 g
Total Time: 1 hour