Makes 4 servings
½ cup chickpea flour
1 teaspoon Za'atar seasoning
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup plus 1 Tablespoon seltzer water
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 cups curly kale leaves
These crispy kale chips are the perfect healthy bite to make on the weekend for weekday snacking. Using curly kale is important because dinosaur kale and baby kale tend to be too weak to support the batter and crisp up correctly. The combination of seltzer water and chickpea flour helps give the batter a lighter crunch while keeping it vegan and gluten free.
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add chickpea flour and spices. Whisk to combine. Add seltzer water and oil and whisk until smooth.
3. Separate the kale leaves from the ribs and rip into small 1-inch pieces. (These do not have to be perfectly uniform.) Toss the kale in the chickpea batter and mix until all the pieces are coated with a layer of the batter.
4. On two rimmed baking sheets, spread out the kale pieces, making sure to avoid lots of overlap or clumps of kale.
5. Bake at 425ºF for 15–18 minutes, or until the kale is crispy and golden brown. Depending on how you like your kale chips, you can leave them in longer to make them crispier.
6. Serve as a snack with raita or chutney to dip.