Makes 6 servings
1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
2 shallots, diced
¼ cup olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
These crispy, crunchy green beans are lightly sweetened with shallots and olive oil, making them a perfect light green vegetable to pair with any Thanksgiving feast. The trick to getting these cooked correctly is a roasting hot pan, preferably stainless steel, and beans as fresh as possible.
1. Place trimmed beans in a bath of cold water for at least 30 minutes before cooking. Pat dry before adding to the pan.
2. In a large stainless steel skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and diced shallots. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until shallots are translucent and lightly browned. Remove shallots from the pan with a slotted spoon, making sure to let oil drain off, and set aside.
3. Turn up the heat to high and let oil preheat for about 1 minute. Add dried green beans to the pan and stir to coat with oil. Let beans cook on each side for approximately 2 minutes, or until most are browned and crispy. This should take about 10 minutes and you should keep a watchful eye on the pan at all times to prevent burning. If oil begins to smoke, turn heat down to medium and finish cooking.
4. Turn off heat and add shallots and salt, stirring to combine.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes