Makes 36 servings
4 egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract, optional
¼ cup finely crushed gluten-free candy canes or peppermint candy
Peppermint candy makes these gluten-free meringues both refreshing and sweet—and with steps for both kids and parents, it’s the perfect seasonal recipe to try together.
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. Line two large cookie sheets with aluminum foil and set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until frothy.
4. Gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, while the parent continues beating until whites stand in stiff, glossy peaks.
5. Beat in the peppermint extract as desired.
6. Drop rounded tablespoons of the mixture onto baking sheets, leaving a 1-inch space in between. Sprinkle tops with crushed candy.
7. Bake for 90 minutes.
8. Turn oven off and leave meringues in over for 30 minutes. Let them cool completely before moving from foil. Store in an airtight container.
Hint: Do not use peppermint extract that contains peppermint oil (the meringues will deflate if you do).
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Fat: 0 g
Protein: .5 g
Fiber: 0 g