Makes 12 servings
Mighty Marinara Sauce 1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, quartered
1 clove garlic
1 large carrot, peeled and quartered
1 stalk celery, quartered
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 bay leaf
Polenta Mini Pizzas Expeller-pressed canola oil, for coating the pan
1 (18-ounce) tube prepared polenta, sliced into 12 rounds
¾ cup Mighty Marinara Sauce (above) or your favorite tomato sauce
¾ cup grated mozzarella cheese
¾ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Mighty Marinara Sauce
1. In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. In a food processor, combine the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Process until very finely chopped.
3. Add the vegetables to the stockpot and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft and translucent.
4. Add the tomatoes and season with salt to taste. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and add the bay leaf. simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, until the flavors are well blended. Remove the bay leaf and serve.
Polenta Mini Pizzas
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with canola oil.
2. Place the 12 polenta rounds on the prepared baking sheet. Top each with 1 scant Tablespoon of marinara sauce, 1 Tablespoon of the mozzarella cheese, and 1 teaspoon of the Pecorino Romano cheese.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly. Serve warm.
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Fat: 2 g
Protein: 3 g
Fiber: 1 g