Makes 6 servings
2 medium carrots
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 small zucchini
3 scallions (white and light green parts)
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1 9-ounce box whole wheat crackers Olive oil cooking spray
Applesauce or plain Greek yogurt (for serving)
Latkes are traditionally cooked in oil, but our version is baked instead of fried and full of vegetables and whole grains. The result: a delicious dish you can feel good about making (and eating!) with your family.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Peel the carrots, beets, and sweet potatoes and trim the ends off the carrots and zucchini.
3. Using the coarsest part of a box grater, grate the beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, and zucchini into separate piles.
4. With clean kid-safe scissors, cut up the three scallions. Set aside.
5. Using a measuring cup, add 1 cup of grated carrot, 2 cups of grated sweet potato, and 1 cup of grated zucchini to a large mixing bowl. Stir gently.
6. Transfer vegetable mixture to a colander and set it over a large plate.
7. Sprinkle carrots, sweet potato, and zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let it sit for 10 minutes.
8. Using hands, squeeze the vegetables to remove all the excess liquid. Or press down on the vegetables lightly, using the back of a large spoon.
9. In the large mixing bowl, whisk eggs until foamy.
10. Transfer the vegetable mixture into the egg and mix well.
11. Break up crackers until coarsely ground. Measure out 3⁄4 cup of crumbs and stir crumbs into vegetables. Sprinkle on the remaining salt.
12. Measure out 1/3 cup of shredded beets. Add to other vegetables and mix. Add scallions and mix again.
13. Lightly spray muffin cups with olive oil cooking spray.
14. Fill each muffin cup with 1⁄4 cup of vegetable mixture.
15. Bake for about 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked and crisp on top. Cool the latkes in the muffin tins for about 10 minutes before removing them to a large plate.
16. Serve with applesauce or Greek yogurt.
Feeding a crowd? Cooked latkes can be frozen and reheated in a 450°F oven.
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 4 g
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes