Makes 10 servings
1 1⁄2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, chilled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 ounces raspberries
3⁄4 cup, plus 2 1⁄2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large eggs, room temperature
Move over, Carvel. Italian for “partially frozen,” a semifreddo tastes like a light, fluffy ice cream cake. But our version offers no preservatives and plenty of in-season raspberries!
1. Line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving at least a 2-inch overhang on each side.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream and vanilla extract in a large, chilled metal bowl just until soft peaks form. Refrigerate whipped cream.
3. Place raspberries and 2 1⁄2 tablespoons of sugar in a blender or food processor and pulse until pureed; set aside.
4. Place chocolate, butter, and 2 Tablespoons heavy cream in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water and stir until melted and combined; remove from heat and set aside.
5. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
6. Place two egg yolks and one whole egg and remaining 3⁄4 cup sugar in a medium bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Beat with hand mixer until mixture is pale and thick (it should resemble cake batter), about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately place bowl in ice bath; continue to stir until mixture is thick and cool, about 3 minutes.
7. Using a rubber spatula, fold chilled whipped cream into custard mixture until thoroughly combined. Gently fold in rasp- berry puree. Leave partially unmixed to create a swirl effect.
8. To assemble, place a heaping 1⁄2 cup of semifreddo mixture into loaf pan and smooth with rubber spatula. Spoon a layer of chocolate on top. Top with another heaping 1⁄2 cup of semifreddo mixture and smooth. Repeat layering until all ingredients have been used, ending with a layer of semifreddo.
9. Fold plastic wrap over surface. Place loaf pan in the freezer for at least 8 hours or until set.
10. To serve, remove plastic wrap from surface. Invert pan onto a cutting board and unmold semifreddo. Remove plastic wrap and cut crosswise into 3⁄4-inch-thick slices.
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Fat: 12 g
Protein: 2 g
Fiber: 2 g
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 8-10 hours