Makes 4 servings
1 large eggplant
1 medium yellow onion
1 head garlic
2 Tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Tahini
1 teaspoon chopped parsley, plus more for serving
½ teaspoon salt
Often referred to as Baba Ganoush, this creamy eggplant dip is made with several roasted ingredients that offer a warm, hearty flavor. There are many variations of eggplant dips from different cultures, each with their own unique set of spices. This is the most basic version of those recipes and is a good jumping off point for more flavorful dips.
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Wash and dry eggplant. Slice lengthwise down the middle and set aside. Peel onion and cut in half. Cut off the top of the head of garlic.
3. On a greased baking sheet, place eggplant, onion, and garlic. Lightly oil and salt each before roasting in the oven for one hour, flipping halfway through.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
5. Scoop softened eggplant into a food processor, avoiding the skin. Add roasted onions and squeeze out garlic cloves from the head, avoiding the skin.
6. Add remaining ingredients to the food processor and process for 3–5 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Let cool before serving.
7. When serving, drizzle olive oil over the top and garnish with parsley. Serve with pita, bread, or crackers.
1 hour and 30 minutes