Makes 4 servings
2½ pounds organic Roma tomatoes, halved
Sea salt to taste
Freshly cracked pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
1 (15-ounce) can organic diced tomatoes
1 cup basil, freshly chopped, plus more for topping
4 cups Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2. In a large stockpot, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add the canned tomatoes, basil and broth. Stir in the oven-roasted tomatoes. Cook for about 30 minutes over medium-low heat.
6. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup in the stockpot or transfer the soup to a food processor or blender to blend. Purée until almost completely smooth or leave some chunks to add texture to your soup. Top with fresh basil and cracked pepper and serve.