For the Sundried Tomato Pesto:
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
For the Roasted Veggie Sandwiches:
1 (6×8 inch) piece focaccia bread, sliced in half lengthwise
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 5 planks
2 Tablespoons olive tapenade
1/4 cup Sundried Tomato Pesto
1/4 pound fontina, thinly sliced
Sundried tomatoes and walnuts are blended together to bring a sweet, earthy spread to the toasted focaccia. Bonus: this recipe makes more pesto than you need for these sandwiches, so you can use the leftovers as pasta sauce or dip for fresh veggies. This dish is from Cara of Big Girls, Small Kitchen, for Kids Cook Monday, an organization that promotes healthy eating by encouraging families to prep meals together every Monday night.
To make the Sundried Tomato Pesto:
1. Combine the garlic and salt in a small food processor and pulse until the garlic is finely chopped. Add the tomatoes and walnuts and pulse again until the mixture resembles a paste. With the food processor running, drizzle the lemon juice and olive oil into the walnut garlic mixture until the pesto is smooth and creamy. Set aside.
To Complete the Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Sundried Tomato Pesto:
1. Preheat an oven to 400°F. Place the zucchini planks on a baking sheet and brush with the olive oil. Season the zucchini planks with salt to taste.
2. Transfer the zucchini to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the zucchini is golden brown and sizzling. Flip the zucchini at the 10 minute mark to ensure even cooking. Roast the focaccia in the oven for 5 minutes, or until it gets slightly toasted.
3. Spread the crust side slice of bread with the olive paste. Spread the cut side of the top with the Sundried Tomato Pesto. Layer the roasted zucchini on the bottom half of the bread, overlapping if necessary. Top with the slices of fontina. Close the sandwich with the other slice of focaccia.
4. Wrap the whole sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and transfer to a baking sheet and put another baking sheet on top. Place a few heavy canned food products on top of the top baking sheet to add weight to press the sandwich. Let sit for at least an hour, or until the sandwich is pressed to preference. Cut the large pressed sandwich into 5 servings and enjoy!
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 12 g
Fiber: 2 g