Makes 10 servings
1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tablespoon lemon juice 1 tbsp. water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 oz. mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 12-oz. package chicken sausage (use your favorite flavor), casings removed and meat crumbled
2 12" premade pizza crusts
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
A slice of sausage pizza can have upward of 500 calories and 10 grams of bad-for-you saturated fat. To lighten things up, go for chicken sausage, mushrooms, and this pesto-cannellini bean concoction. It may be an unlikely combination, but kids love how it tastes!
Tip: The bean purée and mushroom/sausage mixture can be refrigerated or frozen for later use if you want to make only one pizza at a time.
1. Place beans, pesto, lemon juice, and water in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 450°F (or the temperature indicated on the prepared pizza-crust package).
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes.
4. Add crumbled sausage and continue to cook until heated through and completely cooked, an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Spread bean purée evenly over two pizza crusts. Top each with mushroom and sausage mixture. Top with cheese (1 cup per pizza crust).
6. Bake according to package directions. Cut each pizza into 5 slices and serve.
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Fat: 12 g
Protein: 20 g
Fiber: 3 g