Makes 6 servings
5 Tablespoons orange juice, divided
2 scallions, chopped, divided
2 ½ teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
1 teaspoon brown sugar or coconut sugar
Salt and pepper
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2-3 mangoes, depending on the size, peeled and cut in chunks, divided
1 red onion, peeled and cut in wedges
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons honey
Paired with a Thai-inspired dipping sauce, this sweet-and-savory dish is a great way to introduce kids to new flavors.
1. Preheat the grill.
2. In a small bowl, combine 3 Tablespoons orange juice, coconut oil, 1 Tablespoon chopped scallion, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper.
3. Place the shrimp in the mixture and allow to marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
4. Thread six presoaked skewers with the shrimp, mango, and onion.
5. Place skewers on the grill and cook 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until the shrimp are cooked and no longer opaque.
6. To make the sauce, use a blender to puree the remaining mango with the remaining orange juice, soy sauce, scallion, and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve the skewers with the dipping sauce.