Makes 6 servings
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup diced lower-sodium, low-fat ham (about 4 oz), all visible fat discarded
3 cups frozen fat-free southern-style diced hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 teaspoon salt-free Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
2 Tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat, swirling to coat bottom.
2. Cook bell peppers and onion for 4 to 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in ham. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in has browns and seasoning blend.
5. Cook without stirring for 4 minutes, or until bottom is golden brown. Stir (golden-brown pieces will be redistributed). Cook without stirring for 4 minutes, or until bottom is golden brown and mixture is warmed through.
6. Stir in parsley, salt, and pepper. Spoon onto plates.
If you can’t find salt-free Cajun or Creole seasoning blend or just prefer to make your own, stir together 1 teaspoon each chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, paprika, and ground cumin in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.