Makes 4 servings
8 ounces whole wheat pizza dough, thawed if frozen
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
1⁄4 cup cooked pinto beans
1⁄4 cup chopped green onion Cornmeal, for dusting the baking sheets
Unbleached all-purpose flour, for rolling out the pizza dough
Skip the marinara sauce and mozzarella in favor of southwestern toppings like enchilada sauce, Jack cheese, peppers, and pinto beans.
1. Preheat the oven to 500°F. lightly dust two baking sheets with cornmeal.
2. Lightly dust a work surface with all-purpose flour. Divide the pizza dough into four equal portions. gently roll each portion into a ball with your hands then flatten into a disk.
3. Use your fingers or a rolling pin to roll the dough into 6- to 7-inch circles, about 1⁄4-inch thick. transfer two to each baking sheet.
4. Spread a tablespoon of enchilada sauce on each pizza crust. top each with 1⁄4 cup cheese and a tablespoon of bell pepper. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Quickly remove pizzas from oven and top each with a tablespoon of beans. Bake for 4 to 5 more minutes, until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly. garnish with green onions and serve.
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Fat: 10 g
Protein: 12 g
Fiber: 3 g
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes