Makes 4 servings
¼ cup cornflake crumbs
¼ cup yellow cornmeal
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt-free extra-spicy seasoning blend
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
4 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves (about 4 oz each), all visible fat discarded
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Lightly spray an 8″ or 9″ square baking pan or a baking sheet with vegetable-oil spray.
3. Pour buttermilk into a pie pan or shallow bowl.
4. In a large, airtight plastic bag, combine remaining ingredients, except chicken.
5. Set the pie pan, plastic bag, and baking pan in a row, assembly-line fashion.
6. Put one piece of chicken in buttermilk and turn to cover completely. Put chicken in the plastic bag and shake to coat. Place chicken in the baking pan. Repeat with remaining chicken.
7. Lightly spray tops of chicken with vegetable-oil spray.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the coating is crisp.