Makes 4 servings
2 cups rhubarb
2 cups strawberries
1 vanilla pod
1⁄2 cup honey
4 cups water
Forget ready-made mixes. Here’s how to whip up a more natural version of this summer staple, from David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl, authors of Vegetarian Everyday.
1. Chop 2 cups rhubarb, 2 cups strawberries, and a vanilla pod in half.
2. Add everything to a large saucepan with 1⁄2 cup honey and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Slice 2 lemons (thinly) and add to pan. Let simmer for 5 more minutes.
4. Pour into a container and leave to steep for a few hours.
5. Strain if you’d like, and serve with lots of ice on a hot summer day.
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Fat: 1 g
Protein: 2 g
Fiber: 5 g