Makes 4 servings
4 large sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ red onion, diced
½ red bell pepper, diced
½ small jalapeño, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup frozen corn kernels
2 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
A naturally abundant source of vitamin A, sweet potatoes are packed with a multitude of vitamins and minerals that help support a healthy body. This recipe turns these nutrient-dense tubers into a delicious vegan and gluten-free dinner perfect for the whole family. Pair with salsa and chips for an extra festive evening.
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Stab sweet potatoes with a fork several times before placing on a baking sheet. Bake for 60 minutes, or until a fork can easily piece the flash of the potatoes.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, in a medium saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil, red onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and salt. Cook for 5–7 minutes or until onions and pepper become lightly browned.
4. Add the spices to the vegetables and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the tomato sauce to the vegetables and stir to combine, scraping the bottom to get any browned bits off. Bring to a simmer, reduce to low heat, and let cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent the sauce from burning.
5. Add the black beans and frozen corn and mix. Let cook for about 5 minutes or until the beans and corn have been heated through.
6. Prep avocado by peeling and slicing it in your preferred shape and size. We went with cubes.
7. Once the sweet potatoes are finished baking, let cool slightly on the pan before cutting. Carefully cut the sweet potatoes open, lengthwise. Using a fork, shred the flesh from the skin so that the insides are mashed and easy to scoop out.
8. Stuff the potatoes with the black bean mixture, top with avocado and cilantro, and serve!
Carbohydrates: 75 g
Fat: 11 g
Protein: 15 g
Fiber: 20 g
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes