Makes 4 servings
4 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup diced red onion
⅓ cup seeded and small-diced poblano pepper
1 cup frozen mango chunks, thawed and drained
½ teaspoon ground cumin
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
4 whole wheat tortillas
3 cups Mexican-style red salsa (milk or medium), divided
½ cup Vegan Sour Cream
From new book The PlantPure Nation Cookbook, these vegan burritos are made with hearty sweet potatoes and black beans.
Recipe excerpted with permission from The PlantPure Nation Cookbook (BenBella Books, March 2015)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil with sweet potatoes for 5-10 minutes, then turn the heat down to medium. Cook until the sweet potatoes are tender.
3. Drain and mash the sweet potatoes, then reserve for later use.
4. In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, poblano pepper, mango, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Mix until well blended. DO NOT smash the beans. Fold the sweet potatoes into the bean mixture until very well combined.
5. Fill each tortilla with ½ to 1 cup of the sweet potato and bean filling, depending on how large your tortillas are. Fold in the sides of each tortilla and then roll into a burrito.
6. Coat a 9 by 9 inch baking pan with 1 to 2 cups of the salsa. Place each burrito, seam-side down, side by side in the baking pan.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
8. Serve with the remaining salsa and vegan cream.
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40-45 minutes