Makes 24 servings
1/2 small red bell pepper
1/2 small green bell pepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for brushing wonton wrappers
1 teaspoon taco seasoning
24 wonton wrappers
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Optional toppings: chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro, onion
2-3 cups cooked chicken
There’s a lot to love about tacos: They’re simple and fun to make, and even picky eaters tend to give them a thumbs-up. The downside? This family favorite doesn’t have a stellar reputation in terms of nutrition, thanks to the meat filling and tortilla shell.
Fortunately, though, you don’t have to banish tacos from your menu. These mini tacos are made with wonton wrappers, not deep-fried shells, and chicken replaces fattier ground beef. Kids will get a kick out of molding their own tacos in a mini muffin tin—the perfect job for small hands—and you get a fast and easy dinner the whole family will enjoy!
1. Parent: Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Child: Spray 24 mini muffin cups with cooking spray.
3. Parent: Finely chop or shred the chicken, then finely chop the peppers. Heat olive oil in a skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Add chicken and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until cooked through. Add taco seasoning and mix well. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
4. Child: Working with one wrapper at a time, place wonton on a flat surface and brush with olive oil, making sure to cover the tips. Fit wonton into a mini muffin cup. Continue until all wrappers are oiled and fitted into cups.
5. Parent: Bake wonton cups in oven for 5-8 minutes until edges are golden.
6. Child: Fill wonton cups with reserved chicken mixture and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Fat: 3 g
Protein: 8 g
Fiber: 1 g
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes