Makes 12 servings
1/3 cup finely crushed tortilla chips, divided
5 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the muffin pan
2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon flour
1/3 cup milk
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg yolk, beaten
1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the pasta water
Freshly ground pepper to taste
What could be better than macaroni and cheese as finger food? Factor in colorful peppers and whole wheat pasta and you’ve got a savory snack that will disappear in record time.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Butter a 24-cup mini-muffin pan. Sprinkle a thin layer of crushed tortilla chips at the bottom of each cup. Reserve the rest of the chips.
2. Bring a medium-size pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and return to the pan.
3. Heat the butter in a small pot over medium heat. When melted, add the peppers and onion. Sauté for five minutes. Whisk in the flour and let bubble for a minute. Whisk in the milk, bring to a simmer, and let cook for another minute. Turn the heat to low, add the cheese, and stir until smooth.
4. Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni. Add the egg yolk, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Divide the macaroni evenly among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining tortilla chips.
5. Bake the mini macs for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in the pan for five minutes then transfer to a plate and serve.
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 1 g
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes