Makes 8 servings
1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes (also known as roma tomatoes)
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon salt
pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Peel and crush the tomatoes according to Cooking Class directions on the next page. (Or to save time, parents can simply chop the tomatoes roughly, reserving the juice and seeds.)
2. Slide the tomatoes, seeds, and juices into a medium-size pot.
3. Measure and add the remaining ingredients to the tomatoes. Stir with a wooden spoon.
4. Place the pot on the stove and turn the heat to high. Bring the tomato mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and bring chutney to a brisk simmer.
5. Stir occasionally and continue to cook chutney until thick, 35-45 minutes. The chutney will be a beautiful, deep-red glossy color.
6. Transfer chutney to a glass container and let cool for 30 minutes before serving, or cover and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Chutney can be served cold or at room temperature.
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Fat: 0 g
Protein: 1 g
Fiber: 1 g