Makes 8 servings
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 28-ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes
1 teaspoon Italian herbs
5 cups chicken broth
1 14-ounce package of fresh tortellini
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup fresh chopped spinach
¼ cup fresh chopped basil
Parmesan cheese for serving
From Karen Kelly of Seasonal Cravings.
1. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat and add oil. When heated, add the onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for about five minutes then add the tomato paste and stir, cooking for a minute or two.
2. Add the fire roasted tomatoes, Italian herbs, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5–8 minutes.
3. Add the tortellini and cook for five minutes. Check the tortellini to make sure it’s done.
4. Stir in cream, spinach, and fresh basil. Stir.
5. Serve immediately with fresh Parmesan cheese.
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes