Makes 8 servings
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 cup finely chopped kale
1⁄2 cup cooked quinoa
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg
1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce
8 whole wheat sub rolls or 4-inch lengths of whole wheat baguette
Arugula, for serving (optional)
Quinoa and kale add a nutritious twist to these turkey meatballs. Pile them high on a whole wheat roll for a fun lunch even picky eaters will devour!
1. Grease the inside of a slow cooker crock with cooking spray or olive oil.
2. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, kale, quinoa, garlic, egg, Parmesan cheese, oregano, salt, and pepper. Use a wooden spoon or your hands to mix well.
3. Divide and roll turkey mixture into 1 1⁄2-inch meatballs (you’ll get about 24).
4. Spread marinara sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Arrange meatballs in a single layer over the sauce. Cover, set slow cooker to high, and cook for 2 hours, until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce is bubbly.
5. Divide meatballs among buns and top with arugula, if desired.
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Fat: 10 g
Protein: 18 g
Fiber: 5 g
2 hours, 20 minutes