Makes 12 servings
1 1⁄2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons maple syrup, divided
1⁄2 cup 2 percent or whole milk
1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cranberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups heavy cream
Kids will love helping to pipe on the whipped cream frosting on these Vanilla Cupcakes with Cranberry Filling. For more seasonal vegetarian recipes, check out Erin Alderson’s site at naturallyella.com.
1. Preheat oven to 375 ̊F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
2. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together 1⁄2 cup maple syrup, milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide batter in the muffin tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes until cupcakes spring back when pressed and have domed. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to finish cooling.
3. In a saucepan, combine cranberries with 1⁄2 cup maple syrup and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook until cranberries are soft and starting to break down, 4-5 minutes. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1-2 Tablespoons water, stirring to dissolve starch. Pour into cranberry mixture and continue to cook until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. To assemble, take a small knife and cut out a small chunk in the center of each cupcake. Spoon 1-2 Tablespoons of cranberry filling into the center. Finish filling cupcakes and set aside.
5. Once muffins are cool, beat heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. Whisk in 2 Tablespoons maple syrup. Spread or pipe the whipped cream onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and extra cranberries to serve.
Carbohydrates: 52 g
Fat: 25 g
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 1 g