Makes 4 servings
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 12-ounce container plant-based grounds
1 yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 Tablespoon chipotle in adobo sauce
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup frozen corn kernels
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
½ cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened
1 20-ounce bag frozen sweet potato tots
This sweet and smoky dish is a great replacement option to traditional meat-based tater tot casseroles. Made with plant-based grounds and non-dairy milk, it still elicits the hearty, warming feeling of a traditional casserole, just with fewer calories and less fat. Sweet potatoes are also a great source of vitamin A and fiber, making these a smart swap for regular potato tots.
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Let preheat for about 1 minute before adding the plant-based grounds. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until the grounds are broken up and lightly browned.
3. Add onions and bell pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the peppers begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
4. Add all of the spices and adobo sauce and stir to combine. Let cook over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add frozen corn and diced tomatoes and let cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add the non-dairy milk, stirring to combine.
6. In a high-walled pyrex casserole dish or cast iron skillet, add the filling and smooth out, pushing to the edges of the dish. Top with frozen sweet potato tots, trying to cover as much of the top as possible. Lay the tots on their side across the top in any pattern.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the tots are golden brown on top. Serve warm.
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour