Makes 12 servings
2 1/2 cups French lentils, rinsed and picked over for pebbles or debris
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
4 cloves garlic, micned
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup tahini
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2/3 cup white rice flour
salt and pepper
1/4 cup all-natural, allergy-free ketchup
Classic meatloaf gets a gluten-free update (and a planet-friendly one, too, thanks to protein-rich lentils subbing in for ground beef). Instead of bread crumbs, this version absorbs moisture from white rice flour—a swap that works for meatball or meatloaf recipes, too. Serve alongside mashed potatoes, and use the leftovers to make sandwiches with gluten-free bread.
1. Place the lentils in a medium saucepot, and fill the pot with enough water to cover the lentils by 2 to 3 inches. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
2. While the lentils cook, prepare the vegetables. In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add the peppers and sauté five minutes more. Add the garlic and cumin, and cook 1 minute more.
3. Transfer the vegetables to a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
4. Add the cooked lentils, parsley, tahini, and lemon zest and juice to a food processor and process until mostly smooth.
5. Add the lentil mixture to the vegetables and stir to combine. Fold in the rice flour and season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Lightly grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, and spoon the mixture into it. Use a spatula to smooth the top of the loaf. Bake in a 350°F oven for 40 minutes, or until the top of the loaf is just beginning to brown.
7. Remove the loaf from the oven and spread the ketchup over the top. Bake for another 15 minutes at 400°F, then allow the lentil load to sit at least 10 minutes before slicing. Serve.
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 13 g
Fiber: 6 g
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes