Makes 4 servings
2/3 cup fresh or frozen peaches, partially thawed, or fresh apples (such as McIntosh, Jonagold, or Golden Delicious), peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
Whites of 2 large eggs, or 1 large egg
2-3 Tablespoons firmly packed light-brown sugar
12 oz. fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 oz. maple syrup
1/4 oz. dark rum, light rum, or bourbon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
6 cups water
1/4 cup (approximately) fresh fruit or 1/4 cup fat-free or light frozen whipped topping, thawed, for garnish (optional)
This recipe is lower in fats and cholesterol, contains less sodium, and packs fewer calories per serving than its traditional counterpart. Now you can take care of your body and still have soul.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly spray four 5-oz. ramekins or glass custard cups with vegetable-oil spray.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together bread cubes and fruit. Spoon into the ramekins. In a small bowl, gently whisk together egg whites and brown sugar until well blended.
3. Gently whisk in evaporated milk, maple syrup, rum, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and ginger.
4. Pour as much of mixture as possible into the ramekins, making sure bread cubes are soaked. Refrigerate for 10 minutes so bread absorbs liquid.
5. Meanwhile, pour water into a medium sauce pan and bring to boil over high heat.
6. Arrange ramekins in a large rectangular pan, such as a 13x9x2″ baking dish, so they are evenly spaced, leaving at least 1″ between ramekins. Place pan in oven. Slowly pour hot water into pan until it reaches about a third of the way up the sides of the ramekins, being careful to keep water out of the ramekins.
7. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the tip of a knife inserted in the center comes out almost clean and the custard is almost set (it should jiggle slightly in center when gently shaken). Very carefully, remove the ramekins from water bath and dry them off. Let cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
8. Garnish with fresh fruit or whipped topping, if desired.
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Fat: 1 g
Protein: 11 g
Fiber: 3 g