Makes 6 servings
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, plus 3 Tablespoons for the filling
4 ounces cold butter, cut into small dice
3 Tablespoons whole or 2 percent milk
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
1 1/2 cups diced carrots, boiled for 2 minutes
1 10-ounce package frozen peas, defrosted
2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, skinless and boneless
Salt and pepper
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and salt. Add the butter and pulse until mixture resembles oatmeal.
2. Add the whole (or 2 percent) milk and pulse until the dough starts to come together. Remove, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 1 hour.
3. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 9-11 minutes. Add 3 Tablespoons flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock and the low-fat milk and whisk to combine. Simmer, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the carrots, peas, cooked chicken, and salt and pepper to taste. Place the mixture in a 2-quart baking dish.
5. Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator. On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to fit the shape of your baking dish. Place the dough on top of the chicken mixture and crimp the edges around the rim of the dish. Cut 4 slits in the dough with scissors.
6. Bake until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Fat: 25 g
Protein: 28 g
Fiber: 8 g