Makes 4 servings
For the sauce
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
For the vegan ricotta
1 block firm tofu
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the layers
3 medium zucchini, washed and dried
1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
1 cup frozen spinach
A vegan and gluten-free comfort food option, this lasagna uses veggies to make it hearty and delicious (and low calorie). One of the best parts of this lasagna is that the protein comes from the tofu, meaning you don’t have to add additional meat substitutes or other plant-based proteins.
1. First, make the sauce. Combine all ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat. Once the sauce begins to bubble, reduce to low heat and let it simmer, covered. To develop mouth-watering flavor, make sure to give yourself at least an hour to develop the sauce. This sauce will be good after 20 minutes as well, but the longer the cooking time, the better the depth of flavor will be.
2. Preheat the oven to 400º F.
3. Next, make the vegan ricotta. In the bowl of a food processor, add all ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
4. To prepare the layers, thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise, creating long, thin strips, cutting off the stem end first. This can be done using a peeler or mandoline. If you want to use a knife, make sure it is very sharp. You do not want your zucchini slices to be thicker than a ¼ inch.
5. Finally, assemble your lasagna. Brush a light layer of olive oil into an 11×7 rectangular pan. Begin the first layer by covering the bottom with strips of zucchini. They can be overlapped to ensure full coverage. Spread about half of the tofu ricotta over the zucchini, add about half a cup of frozen spinach, and top with sauce. Add a layer of zucchini on top of the sauce and repeat once more. Top the lasagna with a final layer of zucchini. Brush the top with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
6. Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown.
Serve and enjoy!
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes